-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Court Rebuffs Chevron's Point Molate Challenge
September 20, 2004

Based on accounts from those present at today’s hearing, the Contra Costa Superior Court not only dismissed ChevronTexaco’s complaint that the City of Richmond had to comply with the state Surplus Property Law, but the judge also chided ChevronTexaco for not offering the City at least $51 million for the property if they really wanted to buy it (the Upstream Investment offer is for $50 million). See TOM BUTT E-FORUM, September 16, 2004, Point Molate LDA Revised, City to Meet Chevron in Court.

The City argued successfully that federal law governing disposition of base closure property trumped sate law and that one of the intents of the federal legislation was to provide economic development and jobs. ChevronTexaco had earlier announced a “greenwashed” bid for Point Molate with the express intent of keeping much of it in undeveloped open space. See TOM BUTT E-FORUM, August 14, 2004, ChevronTexaco Shows Some of its Cards in Point Molate Bid.

The plan last discussed by the City Council calls for a vote on the Land Development Agreement (LDA) on September 28, 2004.

This project remains controversial. I have been contacted by hundreds of people both pro and con. No clear consensus of community opinion has emerged from the communications I have received, although even those in favor of the project urge clear and unambiguous language in the agreement to protect existing open space and provide for its maintenance and public access. Many are opposed to gambling on principle, and others are concerned about traffic, congestions, crime and other perceived potential negative impacts.

I continue urge citizens to study the draft agreement on the City’s website at http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/.  Click on “Point Molate” on the menu on the upper right part of the screen. Please send your review comments to Rich McCoy and City Council by using “reply to all” on your email address. At this time, the project appears to have the support of at least a majority of the City Council.

RETURN