-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
  E-Mail Forum
  RETURN
  Belcher Declines Re-Election Bid
July 13, 2004

City Council member Rev. Charles Belcher, who won a two year term three years ago after first being appointed to the seat vacated by Alex Evans, announced tonight that he will not seek re-election in November 2004. Like the other four odd-year members, we got an extra year when a ballot measure changed odd-year elections to even-year elections, otherwise our terms would have been up in 2003.

Rev. Belcher, who is pastor of the Resurrection A.M.E. Church in Richmond, stated that he “could not serve two masters,” and indicated that he would henceforth devote his time fully to his pastoral calling.

He has been my seat mate on the Richmond City Council for some time now, and it has been a pleasure to serve with him. Like me, he spent his early years in Arkansas, so maybe there were some harmonics. And he served the noble purpose of separating me from Nat Bates (just kidding).

Belcher’s surprise announcement gave a boost to challengers by reducing the incumbent count from five to four and guaranteeing at least one new candidate a seat after the November election.

RETURN