-
Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
-
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
Street Sweeping Ballots Hit the Streets
March 9, 2003

The long-awaited ballots for neighborhood self-determination in the Richmond street sweeping wars are in the mailboxes of tens of thousands of Richmond residents. Printed in English and Spanish, the mailers explain the two options available for street sweeping: (1) Mandatory - signs and fines, and (2) Voluntary. The only reason I know this is because I received my ballot on Friday, March 7, via mail, addressed to "Residential Customer."

For me, it doesn't make any difference because my street has never been swept and never will be. It has no curbs, gutters or sidewalks, and it is literally falling apart. It resembles a pig trail more than a street. The physical act of street sweeping would probably finish it off, that big rotating broom scarfing up the last pieces into the hopper for disposal in the landfill. Don't let it ever be said that City Council members get special treatment.

Residents opting for mandatory street sweeping with full enforcement need not return the ballots. Those who want a voluntary program must return the ballots before 5:00 PM, Friday, March 28, 2003. A voluntary street sweeping program will require 2/3 of the neighborhood residents voting in favor of the voluntary program and will require 80% compliance  (moving of vehicles parked on streets on sweeping days) in order to sustain it.

Small signs will be posted in residential areas and large signs in commercial areas. Thoroughfares and streets in commercial areas will be swept weekly. Residential streets will be swept monthly. The mailer includes a general schedule for street sweeping in various neighborhoods.

Any questions should be addressed to the Public Services Department, 510/231-3011.

RETURN