Tom Butt for Richmond City Council The Tom Butt E-Forum About Tom Butt Platform Endorsements of Richmond Councilmember Tom Butt Accomplishments Contribute to Tom Butt for Richmond City Council Contact Tom Butt Tom Butt Archives
E-Mail Forum
Whom Do I Call?
February 28, 2003

I am often asked "Whom do I call in the City for _____?" Following is a list of the most commonly used contact numbers for the City of Richmond.

The best place to get information without having to call anyone is via the Internet. The City's website is www.ci.richmond.ca.us. Be aware that City Hall is being vacated for  seismic upgrade project. For a list of departments moving to the temporary city hall at Marina Bay, see http://www.kcrt.com/pio/2003/feb/moving.html. For directions, see http://www.kcrt.com/pio/directions.html.

If you have a complaint or request, always document to whom you talked at the City, when you talked to them, and a summary what was said. This will come in handy if there is no follow-up. Better still, contact City officials via email so that there is a record of the communication. There is a complete list of email addresses on the city website www.ci.richmond.ca.us. Each City employee is required to identify himself or herself when answering a phone.

If you cannot figure out what number to call, simply call the City Manager's Customer Service Hotline. In case of emergency, always call 9-1-1. For a non-emergency service request to the Police Department, call 510/233-1214.



Following is a list of contact numbers, some with accompanying explanations:

Richmond City Manager, Isiah Turner, has established a new customer service hotline to provide greater responsiveness to residentsí concerns.  However, this hotline should be used as a last resort to resolve individual and/or community concerns.  Effective immediately, residents can now call (510) 231-3031, 24 hours a day for assistance.  The hotline is available daily from 8:30am - 5:00pm.  From 5:00pm until 8:30am, a voice message will take messages for next day response.  For additional information on the City Managerís new customer service hotline, please call the City Managerís Office at (510) 620-6512.

The Richmond City Councilís Public Safety and Public Services Standing Committee encourages the public to use the Richmond Police Departmentís Hotline Number 232-TIPS.  This customer service hotline is staffed with a live person during business hours from 9:00am-6:00pm.  After normal business hours, an answering machine will record messages from the public for future follow-up.  The Public Safety Committee encourages residents to use the hotline when reporting important non-emergency items, or anonymous tips.

Animals- All animal complaints including barking, stray or neglected dogs should be referred to Animal Control Services at 374-3966.

Campers, RV's,Trailers, Boats, etc. can be parked in the driveway if in operable condition (no flat tires), but not on grass, dirt or other unpaved areas.  Must have current license & registration.  For more information or to make a complaint, call 620-6944.

Street Sweeping <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/Public%20Services/Streets.htm>- The city has regular sweeping schedules, watch for signs and schedules in your neighborhood.  Move your car to allow the City to remove debris before it washes down the storm drain.  For more information call 231-3043.

Street or Alley Ways <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/Public%20Services/Streets.htm>- The city offers a rapid response service to clear streets or alley ways with piles of trash or debris which require immediate attention.  To report such a situation call 231-3043.

Neighborhood Council <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/Community/Community%20Affairs/neighborhood_com.html>- Enhance your neighborhoods positive sense of community by participating in your Neighborhood Council and help improve the livability, safety, and appearance of your area.  For information call 620-6855. For a map of neighborhood council boundaries: <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/GIS/Graphics/neighborhood.pdf>. For a list of neighborhood council contacts: <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/~planning/docs/pdf/nc_list.pdf>.

Neighborhood Watch- Neighborhood Watch is one of the most effective and least costly ways to prevent crime and reduce fear.  It enhances bonds among residents, helps reduce burglaries and robberies, and improves relation between police and the communities they serve.  For information call 620-6783 or call Crime Prevention Specialist Janet Thomas at 620-6632.

Richmond Works <http://www.richmondworks.org>- Serves youth, adults and laid-off workers, the services provided include skills assessment, basic education, retraining, vocational and on-the-job training, placement assistance, entrepreneurial development and career counseling.  For more information call 307-8014.

Youth Build- Youth Build provides young adults the opportunity to complete their high school diploma or GED; to learn construction skills and to make positive contributions to the community through volunteer activities.  You qualify if you are a Richmond resident; are 17 to 24 years old; want to earn your high school diploma or GED certificate; want to learn a construction skill; and are serious about making positive changes in your life and your community.  For more information call 215-3306.

Street Light Outages (City or PG&E)- As a community we all need to help and keep our City bright!  If you notice any street lights that are out or flicker on and off, please note the street light number on the pole and report them to either of the following numbers:  City lights (usually on metal poles) call 231-3010 or PG&E lights (usually on wooden poles) call 231-2932.

L.E.A.P <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/Community/leap.html>.- Is a free program sponsored by the Richmond Public Library.  Tutors and learners work one-on-one or in small groups.  If you want to help someone learn to read or if you need help with your reading, writing or math skills please call LEAP at 307-8084.

Home Repair Programs <http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/Non-Flash/redevel/rrawebsite/index.htm>- The City offers low interest Home improvement loans to low and moderate income home owners within the City of Richmond for roof repairs, faulty plumbing, heating, and wiring to correct code violations.  For more information on housing loan programs such as deferred loans, home improvement loans, emergency loans and rental rehabilitation loans with low-interest, call the Richmond Redevelopment Agency/Housing and Community Development Agency at 307-8140.

There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a drive way or parking.  Parking vehicles anywhere other than these designated area may be a violation.  Vehicles parked on streets must be in running conditions, must have current license and registration, and can only park for a maximum of 72 hours.  Commercial trucks and trailers cannot park on the street in a residential neighborhood except when loading or unloading campers, trailers, boats, etc. can be parked in the driveway if they are in running condition (no flat tires) but not on grass, dirt, or other unpaved areas.  For further information call Police at 510-233-1214

Junk, litter and debris cannot be left in the yard.  It must be disposed of properly.  This includes junk auto parts, appliances, furniture, building and landscaping material; and tires; litter such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; debris such as tree trimmings and fallen tree limbs; or any other items that have been discarded.  Persons seen dumping trash, junk, or littering in public or private places can be prosecuted.  For further information call Public Works at 510-231-3043


Building Regulations       510/620-6868

Business Licenses           510/620-6742

Code Enforcement           510/620-6944

Recreation and Parks      510/620-6950

Redevelopment                510/307-8140

Street Trees                      510/231-3004

Planning                             510/620-6706

Sewers                               510/412-2001

Sidewalks                           510/307-8091

Irrigation Systems            510/231-3004

Storm Drains                     510/412-2002

Water Service                   510/232-5051

PG&E Gas/Electric          800/945-2288

SBC Telephone               800/310-2355

Cable TV                           800/945-2288

Garbage Collection         510/262-1600

Health                               925/646-5225

Graffiti Removal               510/231-3010