[forum/header.htm]
E-Mail Forum
RETURN
The Race For Mayor Of Richmond
June 30, 2001

In December of 2000, I was the first of four currently announced candidates to declare my candidacy for mayor of Richmond. 

THE CANDIDATE FILING PERIOD WILL OPEN ON JULY 16, 2001, AND MY CAMPAIGN KICKOFF WILL CONSIST OF TWO BACK-TO-BACK ORGANIZATIONAL RECEPTIONS ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 18, 5:30 TO 7:30 PM AND SATURDAY, JULY 21, 10:30 AM TO 12:00 NOON. IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND ONE, PERHAPS YOU CAN ATTEND THE OTHER. BOTH WILL BE HELD AT TOM BUTT FOR MAYOR CAMPAIGN HEADQUARTERS, 117 PARK PLACE, IN RICHMOND. THIS IS IN DOWNTOWN POINT RICHMOND, ACROSS PARK PLACE FROM THE INDIAN STATUE PARK AND THE WEST SIDE BRANCH COMMUNITY CENTER AND LIBRARY.

The purpose of the receptions will be to:

·         Hear and discuss issues that citizens believe will be important in the campaign.

·         Collect signatures for filing papers.

·         Provide an opportunity to contribute to the campaign fund.

If you cannot come to either reception and wish to volunteer or contribute, you may download the attached form in either WORD or PDF format and mail it or fax it in.

Please feel free to forward this email to others who may have an interest in the Richmond Race for Mayor.

The following information about the Race for Mayor of Richmond appeared in the February 18, 2001, TOM BUTT E- FORUM, but may be of interest to new subscribers: 

Q. What does the mayor do?

A. Article III-A of the Richmond Charter provides the following:

·         The mayor shall be a member of the City Council and shall have all of the powers and duties of a member of the city council.

·         The mayor shall be the chief elected officer and ceremonial head of the City, responsible for providing civic leadership and taking issues to the people, and marshalling public interest in and support for municipal activities. The mayor shall be concerned with the general development of the community and the general level of City services and activity programs and may develop and inform City residents of policies and progress which he or she believes are necessary for the welfare of the City.

·         The mayor may make recommendations to the City Council on matters of policy and program which require Council decision and may propose ordinances and resolutions for Council consideration. The mayor shall work with the city manager in preparing an annual budget for submission to the City Council. The mayor shall make an annual report to the City Council as to the conditions and affairs of the City.

·         The mayor shall have the authority at any regularly scheduled meeting of the City Council to make appointments to or removals from all City boards, commissions and committees with the concurrence of at least four other members of the City Council.

·         The mayor shall be a voting member of and preside over meetings of the City Council. The mayor shall annually appoint standing committees of the City Council; provided that the mayor shall not be a member of such committees.

·         The mayor shall have the authority to continue any item being considered by the City Council at a Council meeting for up to two weeks. The Council may override an action taken by the mayor to continue an item by the affirmative vote of five members of the Council.

·         The mayor shall sign all contracts on behalf of the City which are acted upon and approved by the City Council unless otherwise delegated by the City Council to a City official or employee, and shall exercise such other powers and duties as provided in this charter and ordinances and resolutions of the City.

Q. When is the election?

A. November 6, 2001

Q. When is the filling date??

A The candidate filing period will open on July 16, 2001, and close August 15, 2001.  The last day to register to vote is October 8, 2001, and the election is Tuesday, November 6, 2001.

Q. Why isn’t Rosemary running again?

A. Article III-A.3(a) of the Richmond City Charter limits a mayor to two terms. Mayor Corbin will have served her two terms in November of this year.

Q. Are you running?

A. Yes.

Q. Why?

A. We hire a city manager to run the City. The mayor should be a person with vision, proven leadership skills, the ability to get things done, uncompromising tenacity and boldness. The mayor should have a proven record of independence from special interests and should represent all citizens and all neighborhoods equally. I believe my record proves that I have those qualities and skills, and I would like to use them to make Richmond a better place to live and work.

Q. What about your City Council term?

A. My term does not end until November of 2003. I will still be on the City Council, win or lose.

Q. Who else is running?

A. We will not know for sure until August 15, but Nat Bates, John Marquez and Irma Anderson have declared their intent to run.

Q. How much is the mayor paid?

A. $32,004 annual salary. Councilmembers are paid $12,240 annually.

Click here for a volunteer form.

RETURN